Preparing for your first appointment
Your first appointment
The first time you visit a hearing care professional, you are in for a pleasant experience that is interesting and informative. You will get to understand your hearing, identify any needs you have, and explore possible solutions.
What to expect at your first visit
- Talk about your hearing history with a hearing care professional
- Discuss your hearing needs: situations and sounds that you struggle with
- Take a hearing test where you listen to different sounds using headphones
- The professional will explain your hearing test results to you
- Together, you can develop a plan for your next steps – maybe with hearing aids
Bring someone with you
You will be able to get more out of your visit if someone close to you shares in the experience.
Most people find it helpful to bring a spouse, family member or friend to their first visit.
Did you know?
- You hear with your brain, not your ears. Your brain needs to hear all sounds to understand what is said.
- Untreated hearing loss makes it difficult to follow conversations and is often very tiring.
- Hearing aids can help you stay connected to the world via devices like TVs and phones.
Understand your hearing
A little knowledge can help you get the most from your first visit to a hearing centre
Which situations do you find challenging?
- Your hearing is completely unique to you. Think about the ways you struggle, so you can get the most value from your first meeting with an audiologist.
- Can you hold a conversation in a crowded room?
- How well do you keep up during meetings at work?
- Do you always hear when players give instructions or make small talk?
- Family dinners can be full of excited chatter – What stops you following it all?
- Do you turn up the volume more than others would like?
- Where do you usually meet your friends? What do you struggle to hear there?
- Do streets become challenging when they are busy with traffic?
- In what other situations have you noticed hearing difficulties?
Fill out this short questionnaire about your hearing and bring it to your appointment